Have you ever arrived home from work and immediately tugged off your uncomfortable dress pants, tight button-down shirt, and itchy sweater? It’s too early for your pyjamas, but there’s no way you’re staying in your work clothes for the hours between now and then. Instead, you grab your favourite soft pants and a loose-fitting top.
These clothes that you wear between your office outfit and pyjamas are known as loungewear.
So, what is loungewear, exactly? As the name implies, loungewear is essentially clothing you can relax in. Whether it’s after work, the weekend, or even a day you work from home, loungewear is your go-to for ultimate comfort.
What is the Purpose of Loungewear?
Loungewear has exploded in popularity because it’s both comfy and fashionable. Think of it as a happy medium between being dressed up and ready to hop into bed. Although the definition of what constitutes loungewear is pretty wide-ranging, some characteristics typically found in your favourite pieces include:
- Loose, comfy fit
- Soft materials
- No itchy or uncomfortable features
- Warmth when appropriate
Many of today’s loungewear styles have special touches that take them from basic and plain to fun and unique. Think fun buttons, colourful patterns, and extra fluff for comfort. There are even sustainable styles available, such as bamboo loungewear.
Can You Wear Loungewear Out?
Absolutely! The magnificent thing about loungewear is its flexibility. Grabbing a quick coffee with a friend? Relaxing on the couch with a good book? Trying out some new self-care day ideas? Getting your hair trimmed? Any of these occasions are ideal for your favourite casual lounge-appropriate outfit.
In the past, levels of formality were such that you might not have dared to step out in your loungewear. Luckily, today’s clothing packs plenty of style and polish into a much comfier package than the pieces our mothers and grandmothers wore.
Loungewear seamlessly blends comfort and fashion by utilizing:
- Flattering silhouettes – Think of those old sweats in the back of your drawer. They’re loose, boxy, and let’s be honest—not very attractive. The good news is it’s possible to capture the comfort of those old cotton sweatpants in pieces that drape in a much more flattering fashion.
- Quality fabrics – Loungewear has left the itchy cotton-poly blends of the past behind in favour of smooth knits, silky bamboo viscose, downy cotton, and more. These fabrics are of a much higher quality, which makes them far more comfortable to wear.
- Layering options – Some days, your body can’t decide if it’s hot or cold. Loungewear has a solution for that too—layers. Tanks, tees, long sleeves, sweaters, cardigans, and more are designed to pair up for warmth, and they are easy to shed if you get too toasty.
How is Loungewear Different from Sleepwear?
Sometimes the terms loungewear and sleepwear are used interchangeably. After all, loungewear is cozy enough to sleep in. The biggest difference between the two is that you typically cannot wear sleepwear out and about. Instead, sleepwear is meant to be worn in your home only.
When you think of sleepwear or pyjamas, you probably think of pieces that are thinner and flimsier than the clothes you wear during the day. Sleepwear includes items such as:
- Short and top sets
Sleepwear has comfort in common with their loungewear cousins but seriously lacks style. Think about your oversized flannel pyjama pants from four Christmases ago or that oversized t-shirt that has one too many holes. They’re cozy, but they’re definitely not your go-to for a Sunday coffee shop run or a visit to your yoga studio. If you’re in need of some new PJs, it might be a good time to consider a sustainable style like bamboo viscose sleepwear.
Loungewear takes the comfiness of sleepwear and upgrades it with:
You won’t feel shy about going out in your loungewear. Furthermore, there are countless pieces to choose from when you’re building your perfect look.
Types of Loungewear
The list of what is considered loungewear is quite extensive. Some of the most common (and coziest) items you’ll want to have in your closet include:
- Loose lounge pants or bamboo joggers
- Yoga pants
- Long and short-sleeved tees
- Fuzzy sweater for those chilly days
- Buttery soft leggings
- Long, knit wrap or scarf
- Cardigan with deep pockets
- Cozy socks to keep your toes toasty
You can even get bras and underwear that fit into your casual comfort lifestyle so you can cover yourself in softness from head to toe. Bamboo and cotton are proven winners when it comes to undergarments to wear underneath your lounge favourites.
Boody for the Ultimate Sustainable Loungewear
Loungewear is today’s answer to the question of what to wear when you want to be cute and comfy. Clothing that falls into the loungewear category can be worn at home and when you’re out running errands and includes soft pants, sweaters, t-shirts, and more cozy essentials. The important thing is they should be comfortable to wear.
For that reason, they are usually made from breathable fabric. At Boody, we provide sustainable bamboo loungewear and also sustainable athleisure. Our clothes are made from bamboo viscose, which is light, breathable, and low maintenance. Aside from comfort, one of the bamboo benefits is that they are more eco-friendly.
If you want to ensure that your comfy clothes are also good for the environment, then we’re here for you. At Boody, we believe in protecting the planet and producing high-quality, sustainable, and luxuriously soft clothing. Check out our store today and find your new favourite after-work outfit.
Author: Daisy Hemmen
- Rello, Gabriella. "Loungewear Pieces That Are Both Comfortable and Polished." Martha Stewart. 10 july 2021, https://www.marthastewart.com/7753406/best-loungewear?slide=6d9f7aed-0b95-49c6-826f-cba9fcd1ce99#6d9f7aed-0b95-49c6-826f-cba9fcd1ce99