Whether it’s producing oxygen, purifying the air we breathe or maintaining the planet’s incredible biodiversity, trees essentially support life as we know it. But the sad reality is that we’re quickly on our way to destroying the forests that are vital to our existence.
According to the World Wide Fund for Nature, approximately 48 football fields of forest are lost every minute! And at this current rate of deforestation, the world’s most important forests could completely vanish in a hundred years. It’s a pretty depressing thought right? Well, we certainly think so.
Fortunately, it’s not all doom and gloom. There’s a lot we can do to prevent this frightful fate. But before we get ahead of ourselves, it’s probably a good idea to focus on the small lifestyle changes we all can make first.
Here’s a list of a few steps that we can take to discourage tree felling by reducing our reliance on paper:
Help Save The Forests With These ‘Tree-Free’ Tips
- Use cloth napkins instead of paper napkins.
- Ensure double-sided printing is always enabled when you print.
- Avoid using paper notes to leave messages for your roommates or family -rather invest in a small white board.
- When making a purchase, find out if it’s possible to receive an electronic receipt.
- Instead of buying new books, try and see if your local library has the book you’re looking for.
- Swap books with your friends when you’re looking for something new to read.
- Get your daily news by subscribing to an online newspaper and avoid buying a print.
Apart from reducing your paper usage at home, you can also help combat the devastating effects of deforestation by planting as many trees as possible – be it in your garden or at a location set by your local conservation group.
Whichever way you go about saving the forests, we wish you the best of luck with this important eco-endeavour!